Cross Over To RAID Instructor
RAID instructors are highly regarded in the diving industry. Tooled up with modern diving techniques, they stand out from the crowd. Being associated with the fastest growing diver training agency will present many opportunities and students benefit from the best training available to them.
At RAID our philosophy is to train instructors to a higher standard so you can teach new and existing divers to be safer and more environmentally aware. This comes in the form of better/more efficient equipment configuration, modern skillsets, and being able to hover!
The RAID crossover programme is about understanding our efficient and comprehensive online system, role playing as student and instructor, in-water skills activities and visualising the instructor/dive centre signing off process.
All crossover candidates MUST register on www.DiveRAID.com and affiliate to RAID UK & Malta prior to enrolment on the crossover programme. Please also add a passport like photo to your RAID profile. Once this is completed RAID will give you access to the required courses online. It is advised to do this as soon as possible to allow time to complete the quizzes and exams for the online course.
Instructor crossover participants will be required to provide the following:
- Copies of the participant’s highest Instructor rating
- Copies of any specialty instructor ratings (deep and Nitrox ratings are mandatory)
- Copies of any technical instructor ratings
- A valid HSE medical
- Liability insurance
For Divemaster crossovers, RAID UK will need scans or copies of the Divemaster cards.
Please send a scanned copy of these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org no less than one week prior to the crossover date. Please scan and attach these documents separately on your email and make them clear with your name and document description i.e Paul Smith - HSE Medical
Note: HSE medicals are not compulsory to become a RAID instructor except when actively teaching in the UK for gain or profit. For all those teaching for gain/profit we expect you to be able to supply your current HSE medical approval on demand and supply a current copy to the RAID UK & Malta office to be kept on file.
Once registered online, RAID UK will open all materials necessary to operate as a RAID instructor.
Generally this will be:
- Try Dive
- Open Water 20 (Level 1)
- Explorer 30 (Level 2)
- Advanced 35 (Level 2)
- Master Rescue (Level 3)
- Divemaster (Level 4)
- Deep 40 Instructor
- Nitrox Instructor
- First Aid Instructor
- Try Dive Instructor
- Any other equivalent specialty instructor programmes will be included on your RAID profile (proof required).
It is recommended that each instructor purchase the Rolling Scroll Slate (Try dive to Master Rescue) or Open Water 20 Cue Cards for both confined and open water.
Each candidate must bring his or her own laptop or device to the crossover programme.
All crossover instructors will be required to have all equipment (in service) for use in the confined water session including:
- Your normal exposure protection for the temperature and environment.
- BCD/ single backmount harness & wing.
- Regulators normally used for recreational training and diving
- Folding snorkel to clip onto mask strap
- Dive computer
- DSMB and spool with double ender boltsnap
As a modern training agency we would prefer all our instructors to use the long hose system and train divers to primary donate, however the long hose configuration is not mandatory. Please bring the equipment that you will be training and diving with.
Crossover Programme Structure
Prior to participating in the programme crossover instructors MUST complete the quizzes and exam for Open Water 20 and review the Instructor programme as a minimum, ideally all programmes provided to you should be completed.
The crossover programme includes the following components:
- Online training structure including quality assurance
- How a dive centre is allocated and how the dive centre allocates an instructor.
- How the diver and instructor signs off all confined and open water skills.
- How the dive centre checks everything is satisfactory and certifies the student
- Use of the online logbook
- Instructors will participate in a confined water session where specific RAID skills will be discussed, demonstrated and practiced.
- Confined water presentations may be allocated based on instructor experience and crossover agency.
RAID First Aid Crossover Programme Structure
As part of the RAID Instructor Crossover programme, candidates who have a current first aid teaching qualification can participate in a RAID first aid workshop. Upon successful completion of this workshop Instructors will then be able to teach the RAID first aid programme.
- Introductions 9.30am
- Lunch around 12.30pm
- Familiarisation to the RAID online system
- Briefings for in water skills 9.30am
- In-water skills
- Lunch around 12.30pm
- Familiarisation of sign off procedures
- RAID First Aid workshops and demonstrations
- Instructor Crossover certifications
Please note these timings are suggested and are subject to change.